Tuesday, February 25, 2014

St. David's Day, A Welsh tradition and holiday... what's it all about?

Lets talk about St. David's Day.  It is on March 1...  every year.  St. David is the Patron Saint of Wales.  This is when the Welsh, we celebrate Dewi Sant or St David who died on that day in 589AD.  To mark the day, Welsh people around the world wear one or both of our national emblems - a daffodil
or leek
 -and celebrate at special concerts and parades.  On St David’s Day we wear the leek to celebrate winning a battle against the Saxons in a field of leeks. Lucky it was not a field of cows or sheep!
There are many other symbols that tie in with St. David's Day and Wales:  Welsh Symbols  There is the harp, the Welsh flags, and the Prince of Wales Feathers.  Let's see the National Anthem.  Seeing that Declan can actually sing it now, yes, in Welsh, this is a real learning curve for us oldies!  Here is the National Anthem of Wales:  Welsh National Anthem  Here you can listen to it:  The Welsh National Anthem being sung  Being that this is my first time in Wales on St. David's Day, I am a novice.  I am hoping to learn more and more.  It is all rather exciting.

With this wonderfully exciting holiday, celebration, comes some amazing food.  Fancy some:  bara brith, Cawl, Welsh Rarebit?  These are just some amazing foods.  Do NOT be put off by these foods.  Here is some ideas for you:  St. David's Day Recipes.  Here we have St. David's Day Activity Pack.

For now, I am going to soak up this half term break sunshine and glory that is just in abundance here.  It's a beautiful week, and full of happiness and sun and beauty.

1 comment:

  1. What an awesome post! I learned something new, thank you! I love daffodils, and St. David is my son's patron saint.

    ReplyDelete