Saturday, December 7, 2013

Grocery Shopping 101 US vs UK You Determine the Winner

The Grocery Store, well, no, in the UK it is the Supermarket...  interesting and a learning experience.  Let's do this British style!  There are a variety of supermarkets in the UK...  they range in sizes - from the convenience store to the superstore size.  I have been to 3 of varying types. Day 1 - The Cooperative Store - small, conveneient, and actually really good and they support local farmers and the such!  They actually have an amazing Cheese and Jalapeno freshly baked bread!  YES, it is freshly bakes, but of course, they were out when I went in.  Day 3, Friday, went to Lidl's.  Just okay, nothing exciting and honestly not impressive.  Today, Day 4...  Morrison's.  I love this store, it is medium sized, and actually pretty amazing and not chaotic....More supermarket stores to be explored soon....

Rule 1:  One must always bring their own bags (reusuable) to the store.  Yes, yes, yes...  you can get a plastic bag for your own groceries, but...  it is seriously expensive:  at 5 pence/little plastic bag about 10 cents to the American community.  This is a way of typical recycling and saving the earth, a huge initiative in the UK!  Kudo's to them!  I am embracing this.

Rule 2:  Shopping Trolly (Shopping Cart US version) - pay for this too, £1 but when you return the cart you get your £1 back.  Now, something I learned today at Morrison's, from a very kind/local lady - wait for it...  you can go to most of the little charity stores here (British Heart Foundation, Cancer, Hospice...  Oxfam - so many, I can't begin to name them..  more on living in the Charity shop capital of the UK) another time...  you can get little trolley tokens there at no expense..  Very interesting fact.  I will explore that one time soon, no doubt. 

Signing off to cook supper for the lads.  Love to all!

2 comments:

  1. We have a store called Aldi where you insert a quarter to get a cart, then when you lock it back up, you get the quarter back! Quit different! How are the prices compared to here? Thanks for all of the insight, very interesting xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prices are a bit expensive, the petrol (gas) is very high! But it's all in eye of the beholder. People tend to walk more here than we do in the US, but in saying that, things are closer here than in the US! xo

    ReplyDelete